The Photography Network - PictureSocial

Are monopods worth the investment? What kinda of photography applications are they used for?

Views: 13

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Never thought they were worth having an extra piece of equipment to carry. Don't think they do anything you can't do better with a tripod and a home made Steady cam is much more versatil in my opinion.
I have only seen a couple people use them, most photographers I see just use normal tripods.
I know people use them alot at sporting events for long-lens photos, more stability.
I've seen 'TrekPods' at my local camera store. It is about the size of a monopod but works as a tripod with a very long center column. I can see this being used with a lightweight camera for lowlight photography such as fashion shows or fireworks shows. I would still rather use a tripod whenever possible though.
Actually both Blake and Kelly are correct. They are mainly for places where you can not take a tripod. They are not meant as tripod replacements. Watch any NFL game and you will see sport photographers on the sidelines using them. I have one and have had a few occasions where it came in handy.
Boy I sure wish i had one on many occasions. I could almost bet that some of my shots would have come out much sharper if I had one.
I'll shoot the kids soccer, baseball and football games with my tripod folded up and with one leg down. Then if I want the tripod, BAM! it's there!
I bought a Manfrotto mono pod last summer and don't go anywhere without it. I love the unit and it helps me with low ISO speeds to achieve excellence in photo shooting....Give it a try......Ian
Ian,

I bought my Manfrotto last summer also. Which model did you get? I did not go expensive. I go the 679B model, but I agree... they do come in very handy.
I have a SunPak VersiPod 2 monopod. It has 3 legs that open up and becomes a tripod. Is it as steady as a regular tripod? No! But, it is helpful when I need something to help keep the camera steady. It also doubles as a walking stick.

Jim Van Namee
I should have mentioned that I would rather use my tripod rather than the SunPak monopod, but sometimes I just don't want to lug the bloody thing around over hill and dale. It's a bit heavy.
I think monopods are used in places where tripods are just too bulky to be used. I tried one before, but I'll stick with my tripod ;-)
this is for Jeff I'm wondering if you are any more likely to have this toy (bottle cap) in your camera bag than you would your table top tripod?

RSS

Black Friday is Here!

Latest Activity

thymewarp13 replied to Chris (Frog)'s discussion *********TODAY'S DISCUSSION ******** in the group The Daily View
"Just to share:  Poppies "
1 minute ago
Earl Heister replied to Fransina Botha's discussion New 72 Hour Challenge - Roads to nowhere - ends 01-12-14 8 pm PST in the group 72 Hour Blue Ribbon Challenge!
"This looks like the Rocky mountains.  I'll bet that gets the nerves working on snow and…"
3 minutes ago
Earl Heister replied to Fransina Botha's discussion New 72 Hour Challenge - Roads to nowhere - ends 01-12-14 8 pm PST in the group 72 Hour Blue Ribbon Challenge!
"Very sharp and detailed.  I like the country with the mix of hardwoods and evergreens…"
5 minutes ago
"Great variation on the theme Pearl.  I like the scene and the composition of the shot.…"
7 minutes ago

Free Photography Tips

We offer free daily photography tips for all experience levels. Click Here to Subscribe Now!.

© 2014   Created by PictureSocial.com.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service