The Photography Network - PictureSocial

Hi folks... I enjoy using my 50mm f/1.8, and don't regret the purchase one bit (probably best bang for my buck so far). However I'm hoping to improve the quality of my photos and would like to know if others have decided for or against this lens upgrade.

The 1.8 isn't an expensive lens, but if it isn't worth forking out the coin, I'd rather save it for one that is expensive.

I've borrowed my friends 85mm 1.2L for a while which is a beast of a lens, and requires surgeon precision to control DOF, when wide open. I don't want this, nor do I want a slow AF (which plagues the 85mm 1.2). The 1.8 is probably my fastest AF lens... is the 1.4 comparable in AF speed? I'm shooting with a 7D.

Tags: 50mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 7D

Views: 346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Canon EF 50mm 1.8 II is not a really a good built ... its plastic body puts you on edge at times... you drop it.. and its more likely to end up as a paper weight.

the Canon EF 50mm 1.4 USM is a better and durable lens... the f1.4 gives more flavor to your shots .. and the USM is more faster in AF speed... 

I have both lenses btw.. I have my own 50mm 1.8 II which is now paper weight after I dropped it while changing lenses in a festival... the plastic mechanism fell apart.. and I tried to have it fixed and the shop told me to just get a new one.. luckily my wife has her own 50mm 1.8 II which I used until I invest on the 50mm 1.4 USM...

we used more the 50mm 1.4 USM and are satisfied on how it performs... I just use the 1.8 as back-up or when my wife uses the 1.4 and I need a fast prime as well..

Both of those lens are going to help give you great quality with the 7d. I have a 1.8 and my friend has a 1.4 and I can't tell much difference but I know it's there. I definitely know it's there with the build of the lens. I've dropped one 1.8 but it was under a year warranty. The 1.8 is great. I use it on a T2i and shoot a lot of video with it too. I'll probably get a 1.4 soon and a 7d. I at least want the 7d and the 1.8 would do.

RSS

Deal Ending Soon!

Latest Activity

TJ replied to Chris (Frog)'s discussion The Daily View Thursday October 30th 2014 in the group The Daily View
" Bravo on that edit!!  You brought all all the best in that photo and enhanced it nicely!! "
2 minutes ago
thymewarp13 replied to Chris (Frog)'s discussion The Daily View Thursday October 30th 2014 in the group The Daily View
"This shot is in with photos of the Big Meadows dining room which has similar chandeliers but also…"
2 minutes ago
Kenan Seven posted photos
4 minutes ago
Earl Heister replied to Chris (Frog)'s discussion The Daily View Thursday October 30th 2014 in the group The Daily View
"Very rustic.  I like that they only paint the front.  No use wasting paint.  "
7 minutes ago

Free Photography Tips

We offer free daily photography tips for all experience levels. Click Here to Subscribe Now!.

© 2014   Created by PictureSocial.com.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service