The Photography Network - PictureSocial

So last sunday I went out to do my first portrait shoot.  Just my friends who wanted a few new profile pictures for Facebook, and in return they let me use the pictures in my portfolio.  However, I am looking for some feedback on the images, as this is my first time and I'm keen to know what I got right and where I need to focus on for improvement.  The images can all be found on my flickr page.

Portrait shoot

Tags: Feedback, Portraits

Views: 30

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Having the same name for all portraits of one girl does not make it easy to speak about an image.  There is a criticism group here:  http://www.picturesocial.com/group/photocriticism,  put a picture there and people will suggest improvements.

The red scarf reflects from the girl's face which makes her look like she did not get enough sleep.  Some backgrounds are too bright although the models are evenly lit.

Thanks for the link to the critique group.  I will definitely check it out.  And it's funny you mention that she did not get enough sleep.  From what I was told, she only got 3 hours the night before the session.

So all in all, I think this was a good first portrait session. So my critiques are as follows:

Pic of Erin 1,2: I don't think that there is enough light in her facial area

Pic of Erin 3: I wish the background was a much lighter to set a more pleasant mood.

Pic of Erin 5: GREAT PIC

Pic of Christine 1: watch out for shadows around the eyes

Pic of Christine 2: I would soften the face so that it looks more smooth

Pic of Christine 3: maybe a shallow depth of field might have worked better to bring out the form of her body and scarf

Pic of Christine 4: Watch out for shadows that are created for her hair. i.e. left side of her face along her eye

Thank you for those detailed comments, Michael.  Definitely stuff I missed before, and I will keep it in mind for my next shoot.
It's a good session considering it's your first time. Nice bokeh and lighting. I would like to see a bit more foreground. Good job on the composition.
Oh my gosh Nimish! I love them! These pictures are so great!!! I am actually gonna use some of your poses as inspiration for my future poses! Hey! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? Anyway, I love the pictures! There's not one that I don't love!!  Good job!  My first shoot was NOWHERE near as awesome as yours!!
Well thank you very much Janna.  I must say I am mildly flattered that you consider using my poses as inspiration.  Please let me see anything that might come out of such usage.  And again, thank you very much for your comments.  Out of curiosity, do you have a favorite picture in the set?

for the pics in general great,

my  question you might want to use a little photoshop or portrait professional to fix up the blemishes on the faces,

the blured backgroound works a treat for me,

RSS

Deal Ending Soon!

Latest Activity

jahanbakhsh mehrbakhsh shared Tony Taffinder's photo on Facebook
36 seconds ago
Terry Davey commented on Roberto Fonte's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0780

"Nice capture. Just a little close on the Crop."
1 minute ago
Terry Davey liked Roberto Fonte's photo
2 minutes ago
jas saj replied to Chris (Frog)'s discussion THE DAILY VIEW JULY 29th 2014 in the group The Daily View
"Love the emotions shown))))"
2 minutes ago

Free Photography Tips

We offer free daily photography tips for all experience levels. Click Here to Subscribe Now!.

© 2014   Created by PictureSocial.com.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service