The Photography Network - PictureSocial

Hi my photography peeps :) I have been having trouble taking pictures of bands when they perform in bars. This is something i would like to continue doing only if i could figure out my which settings use because most of my pictures come out way too dark. So i bought an Speedlight Flash SB-600 for my nikon (which by the way is D5000) i also i have a portrait lens AF-S Nikkor 35mm 1:1.8G, and i have a AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6G that i use when im standing far away i tend to get good photos with. Please i need help i have a gig to shoot on friday so any tips would help thanks :)

-alicia

Tags: Concerts, Low, SB-600, light, photography

Views: 247

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i'm shooting this friday too. Most of the time I shoot at very low shutter speeds. About 1/15th to 1/4th of a second with my aperture wide open (f/2.8). I'm using between 1-3 flashes if allowed and the output is minimum, just enough to freeze the motion. My flash is set for rear-curtain so i get the flash at the end of my exposure. Me personally I want to capture the ambiance of the place and not wash it out with flash. The only thing I shoot auto with is my autofocus and usually have my metering on spot or center-weight metering.

This is a sample of the band I shot last wednesday and I'm shooting their last show of the year tomorrow night. My camera was at ISO 1000, f/2.8 basically for all lenses I used and my shutter was between 1/15th and 1/6th of a second. My flash output was between -1 and -3 on TTL.

Best wishes tomorrow night for you. I'll be having fun doing the same thing in a bar setting as well.

Attachments:

RSS

Deal Ending Soon!

Latest Activity

Jordan posted a photo

ALCS MVP Lorenzo Cain

Cain Island: Where Doubles go to Die.Lorenzo Cain, reigning 2014 MLB ALCS MVP. Go Royals!!!
4 minutes ago
Nicholas Mount posted a photo

Beer Trophy

Cycle Cross World Cup in Valkenburg
8 minutes ago
Florica Topa posted a photo
13 minutes ago
Florica Topa posted a photo
14 minutes ago

Free Photography Tips

We offer free daily photography tips for all experience levels. Click Here to Subscribe Now!.

© 2014   Created by PictureSocial.com.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service