The Photography Network - PictureSocial

Hi my photography peeps :) I have been having trouble taking pictures of bands when they perform in bars. This is something i would like to continue doing only if i could figure out my which settings use because most of my pictures come out way too dark. So i bought an Speedlight Flash SB-600 for my nikon (which by the way is D5000) i also i have a portrait lens AF-S Nikkor 35mm 1:1.8G, and i have a AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6G that i use when im standing far away i tend to get good photos with. Please i need help i have a gig to shoot on friday so any tips would help thanks :)

-alicia

Tags: Concerts, Low, SB-600, light, photography

Views: 249

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i'm shooting this friday too. Most of the time I shoot at very low shutter speeds. About 1/15th to 1/4th of a second with my aperture wide open (f/2.8). I'm using between 1-3 flashes if allowed and the output is minimum, just enough to freeze the motion. My flash is set for rear-curtain so i get the flash at the end of my exposure. Me personally I want to capture the ambiance of the place and not wash it out with flash. The only thing I shoot auto with is my autofocus and usually have my metering on spot or center-weight metering.

This is a sample of the band I shot last wednesday and I'm shooting their last show of the year tomorrow night. My camera was at ISO 1000, f/2.8 basically for all lenses I used and my shutter was between 1/15th and 1/6th of a second. My flash output was between -1 and -3 on TTL.

Best wishes tomorrow night for you. I'll be having fun doing the same thing in a bar setting as well.

Attachments:

RSS

Deal Ending Soon!

Latest Activity

Janice Bailey replied to Skybella's discussion The DP Scavenger Hunt ... in the group Daily Pics
"Next let's find a ROCKING CHAIR."
8 minutes ago
Canadian Club replied to Terrence John Davey's discussion Favorite Photo in the group Room To Grow
"Excellent and like your title. CC"
11 minutes ago
Terrence John Davey replied to Lori Gail's discussion Black and White Photography in the group Room To Grow
"It has often been said that less is more. And the simplicity of this B&W speaks volumes!…"
17 minutes ago
Canadian Club replied to Terrence John Davey's discussion Favorite Photo in the group Room To Grow
"Hi: Terrence when you go to the link, if you click on the WFC Introduction Video and watch that,…"
19 minutes ago

Free Photography Tips

We offer free daily photography tips for all experience levels. Click Here to Subscribe Now!.

© 2014   Created by PictureSocial.com.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service