The Photography Network - PictureSocial

I'm new to the DSLR world.  I have my camera set on taking pictures in RAW, but I don' t know the benefit. 

Also, upon editing my pictures, I've been saving them as jpgs and deleting the original RAW file.  Is this good?  Bad?  I have no idea.

thanks in advance

Views: 1721

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

great answer!

how come when i shoot in raw i cannot open it using photoshop CS5? whats wrong? :)

You open raw files with Adobe Camera Raw, you should be able to see a thumbnail in Bridge, then double click it to open in ACR.  If the thumbnails do not contain pictures, you need the latest plug-in for ACR.  The Adobe web page has instructions on downloading and installing it.

This question came up before.  I turned my answer into a web page and put it here: http://cameraclicker.com/Compare/Raw/Raw.html

There are some sample photos there that demonstrate the power of raw that Paul spoke about in his reply.

I like your demo of using RAW, it really show the power of using it.  In one program I use which is Corel Aftershot Pro (previously called Bibble 5) you can create layers and adjust any section of the picture during the RAW process. This eliminates the need to save several exposure levels and later re-combine them.  Much faster work flow on that.

ACR has a tool that lets you select any part of your image and apply a set of the controls to the selection.  I don't know if there is a limit, you can definitely apply several different selections to one file.  Each selection gets a selection point and by clicking that point, you can go back and edit your selection or change control settings. 

Mate the above post have already said it, shoot raw, get use to it, I don't know any professional photographers or hobbyist who take photography seriously who don't shoot in raw.

Haha nice title. I'll save you time and just send to a link that breaks down all you need to know about RAW and JPEG and how to make the most out of your RAW files http://bit.ly/zOxwxC 

Wow. Thanks for all the information.  I had no idea that RAW could be so useful compared to JPG.  Fantastic!

Hi Matt:  I shoot strictly in RAW format. Never save your pictures in JPEG. Always save them in tiff format and keep your RAW files for future reference. RAW format is everything the sensor sees. You have better control over extreme fixes for a picture than JPEG. 

Ron Wechter

Keep the raw file.  Save what you want to display as a jpg.  Many sites on the Internet will only accept jpg, gif, and png.  Some will only accept .jpg.

With jpg, there is some loss, and more loss if you have the file compressed a lot.  This becomes a problem if you open the file, save it, close it, open it again, save it again, close it again, and repeat this process a number of times.  If you start with a jpg and only edit it once or twice, and save an original in case you need to go back and edit it differently, you can get away with just using jpg files without ever having enough degradation that anyone will be able to notice it.  If you edit the same file fifty times and save it to the same name, close it and reopen it each time, you may find the file is not as good as if you opened your original, edited it the same fifty ways and saved it once at the end. 

TIFF may be a good choice if your editor does not have its own format for saving work in progress.  In Photoshop if you save as TIFF, all the editing steps fall out.  If you save the file as psd, it will keep your layers.

By the way, many news and sports photographers just shoot jpg because they do not have time to do the conversion and are not going to do any post processing.  They just shoot the photo and file it with the office.  I suspect they would shoot raw + L if they wanted to keep a copy.  Some cameras have 2 card slots and can write raw to one and jpg to the other at the same time.

I have probelm also CC. I bought GH2 lumix and I have photoshop elements. I shot in Raw but when I download in the comp , it says RAW2 and it wont allow me to open it in my photoshop elements. So I have to convert it into DNG converter and now it allows me to see my pic through photoshop elements. My question is , would it change the quality of my pic when I edited them and save it into dng? Thanks :)

RSS

Ending Soon!

Latest Activity

brian ferguson replied to Robert Davis's discussion "The" vacation image in the group Bob's Photo Group
46 seconds ago
Stephanie Alexandra replied to Chris (Frog)'s discussion THE DAILY VIEW September 23rd 2014 in the group The Daily View
"Captured at the perfect time of day I suspect - beautiful shot!"
46 seconds ago
Earl Heister replied to Chris (Frog)'s discussion THE DAILY VIEW September 23rd 2014 in the group The Daily View
"What a great time of day to be running barefoot on the beach.  A very cool shot."
2 minutes ago
Stephanie Alexandra replied to Chris (Frog)'s discussion THE DAILY VIEW September 23rd 2014 in the group The Daily View
"I love the Sandhill Crane :-)  Terrific shot.  I go out to the bird sanctuary in Ladner…"
2 minutes ago

Free Photography Tips

We offer free daily photography tips for all experience levels. Click Here to Subscribe Now!.

© 2014   Created by PictureSocial.com.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service