The Photography Network - PictureSocial

How I got this shot...

Sometimes we have to hike mountains, stand in streams, lay on the ground or just be in the right place at the right time to get the captures we want.

I would ask that you submit a little story with your images telling us what you had to do to get the shot or if you got lucky by being in the right place at the right time.

Challenge will end Sunday about 72 hrs from now...

2 Entries & 2 NEs (all with their story - please)

Have fun,

Carlton

Views: 153

Replies to This Discussion

Entry #1 - "Spider Kiss" 

This shot was taken outside in my back yard at my BBQ hut, she had spun a beautiful web right at the entrance and I had to duck down to get past it without disturbing her or her web. I have a fondness for these fascinating eight-legged creatures and this particular spider I've watched grow up, she really likes that hut for some reason. She is a typical orb-weaver spider commonly known as a barn spider, her body is approximately a little over 2 inches long not counting her legs. It was night time so I had to use a flashlight on her and had another light behind her for added lighting. It was really windy that night and I had to stand on a stool to angle myself above her. This is a macro shot, I was only inches away when I captured it.

Entry #2 - "Lightning from Above"

This picture was taken high above South America flying from Panama to Rio de Janeiro. We had taken off an hour or so before sunset and I gazed out the window of a 737 watching as the sky grew darker and darker. I was seated in the last row and an flash of light caught my eye, at first I thought it was the wing light blinking but then I saw we were flying over a thunderstorm and I patiently waited with a trigger finger and finally got this shot.

NE #1 - "Follow Me" 

One of my favorite pastimes is going to air shows, my son is a big aviation buff so it is not unheard of us traveling and doing as many as 10 in a year. Trying to take a picture of a moving object is hard enough, then when those moving objects go a few 100 mph makes it even more difficult. It took me many of air shows to get it all dialed in and be able to catch something other than blue skies. Projecting the path and following the object are key, never take your eye off of them.

NE #2 - "Colt .45"

On occasion we go to the shooting range, my son had recently watched some old western on T.V. and wanted to fire a Colt .45 revolver like in the movies. Not only is timing essential but so is the angle to take it and trying to stay our of the way of the person firing. I really enjoy taking photos of firearms being shot, the naked eye doesn't see the actual combustion that occurs, the expansion of the metal, the proverbial smoking gun, etc. and no two shots ever produce the same result.

Very interesting challenge Carlton...I like it.

For my first one I have to give a little back story.  I spent this past Christmas at a family friends house in Ruidoso, NM.  We raced the snowstorm into town and just barely beat it.  We got 2 feet of snow two days before Christmas.  The front yard of the house had these towering pines and being inquisitive I asked myself, "What would happen if you would karate kick one of these snow-covered trees?"  I got the answer...A sore foot and a lens full of snow.  

for my second I took my boys to play golf a couple of weekends ago...My youngest got some Sponge Bob golf balls in his stocking...I hate Sponge Bob, I didn't used to, but Sponge Bob is now somewhere in the TV universe on 24 hours a day 7 days a week and my kids can find him.  I decided my son whacking Sponge Bob with a golf club was an image I wanted to be able to visit again and again.  I laid down on the ground in front of him...it was getting dark so i was open as wide as she would go.  I was hoping for a moment of impact kind of thing, but with the light it wasn't happening.  It did make for a great DOF though.  I also shot a video of it and will try and post it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAFuzIqevA4&feature=youtu.be

Whoooo . . . lives in a pineapple under the sea?  Sorry, couldn't resist.

I like your snow shot, and the story.

Cool challenge, Carlton.

I am of the opinion that we "make" photographs and that we should approach a shot with a plan. There are times when we have to react without thinking and let our instincts take control, but for themost part we do have time to think.

My entries might be titled "A Tale of Two Musicians."

First: I was hired to photograph a jazz group. Well, more like jazz fusion. The guitarist in the picture was all the way stage left. There were 13 in the group in a smallish venue. I liked what he was doing and how the light was hitting him but I needed a different perspective. He was right at the end of the stage so I sat almost right at his feet with my camera. I was using a D700 with a 24-20 f2.8 lens. I used the 24mm focal length, set the camera on continuous focus, and set the release mode to CH (continuous high). I leaned over and held the camera almost at his feet facing up at him and fired away. Worked pretty well.

Second: I was photographing at the Berks Jazz Fest here in Reading, PA. I was nominally shooting the Gerald Albright concert but he had several guest musicians playing with him that evening. One of them was trumpeter Rick Braun. I had seen Rick at his first appearance at the Jazz Fest a number of years ago. I spoke to him and told him how I loved the entrance he made at that concert. He came in from the back of the hall walking down the aisle playing. His trumpet had a wireless mic and it was a little disconcerting at first to hear the trumpet but not see anyone playing. Then a spotlight picked him up as he came down the aisle and the crowd went nuts. Anyway, I told him that I though it was a great entrance and he said that he thought he would do that again on this occasion. So, I knew just what to expect and was ready for him. At that time I was shooting from the wings and from the back of the stage and I had a good shot out at the audience.

And one NE. Sometimes you have to make your own opportunities. If I get the right vibe from someone, I will walk up to them and ask to take their photograph. They invariably say "yes." I try to get the photograph I want in 3-5 exposures and then thank them and walk away. This fellow was outside a small restaurant in Charleston, SC and I assumed he was the owner or manager. I thought he had a great face. So I did my thing and got one of my favorite images. Love the glasses.

Hi Mike relating to 2nd Entry - Pat Metheny Group did something similar on their 1st Circle tour with players entering from the lobby, backstage & side entrances. Another tour Pat made these incredible squawking sounds that had us all confused as to what instrument was being played - sounded like a trumpet/violin/synthesizer squeezed into 1 instrument then he came out onstage playing the guitar with the venue lights still on - then the lights went out and the band started :) Love Jazz ♡

Thank you for sharing your photos & stories Mike.

RSS

Only 1 Day Left!

Latest Activity

jas saj replied to Chris (Frog)'s discussion THE DAILY VIEW JULY 31st 2014 in the group The Daily View
"))))  It leads to where I live Earl))))"
30 seconds ago
Earl Heister replied to Chris (Frog)'s discussion THE DAILY VIEW JULY 31st 2014 in the group The Daily View
"Very creative edit super lines."
35 seconds ago
Steve Ward liked spirit's photo
59 seconds ago
Valentina Williams posted photos
1 minute ago

Free Photography Tips

We offer free daily photography tips for all experience levels. Click Here to Subscribe Now!.

© 2014   Created by PictureSocial.com.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service