The Photography Network - PictureSocial

I'm torn between two macro lens's and I wanted people's input. I'm torn between the Nikon 85mm and the Nikon 105mm. I know the biggest difference is the price, but I don't want to get the cheaper and then miss out on what I could have with the more expensive. I know I will be using it for years and years so price really isn't a problem..

So if someone could tell me which they would choose or if there's one better out there please let me know!

Thanks a bunch!!

Views: 27

Replies to This Discussion

Hi sara, check out some site that have some reviews on such lenses, i suggest bythom.com, and when you go visit your favorite camera shop, have you gear with you and check out those glasses yourself, then you'll be the judge yourself. :D
Might I suggest a 50mm 1.8 with a "backwards" or reversing mount for your macro. The 50mm is a wonderful lens and is very very sharp in and of itself, plus with the reversing mount you can get very close to a 1.1 image. The unti is called a BR2A.
Nikon sells them for somewhere around $20-$30. Of course the 50mm is pretty cheap right now and should only run you somewhere arounf $130 or so depending on where you order it from. Please note that obviously you will not be able to use some features of the lens such as auto focus or meter but it is a very cheap and great way to get great macro results!
Posted below is a link for a little more information. Hope this helps! :)

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/other/close-...

Some additional information I found in the internet...

What is the difference between the BR2 and BR2A Rings?

The BR2-series rings are designed to allow a lens to be reversed and mounted backwards for close-up photography.

The BR2 (older style)ring will interfere with the CPU connections on an autofocus camera and prevent it from mounting properly. The BR2 cannot be used on a digital SLR for this reason. The BR2A is needed to reverse mount a lens to an autofocus camera (including Nikon D-SLR's). The BR2A works with manual cameras as well. Both the BR2 and BR2A mount to a 52mm filter thread.

Nikon 105mm is the best

RSS

Black Friday is Here!

Latest Activity

EVA CANTRELL commented on Aires Mario da Cruz's photo
Thumbnail

Cabbage Butterfly ENLARGED.

"I like this one  love the close up of the head"
30 minutes ago
EVA CANTRELL commented on David Ash's photo
Thumbnail

juve 1 (335 of 955)

"i am not into checking out so many images  too long  but this one  takes my eye and…"
31 minutes ago
EVA CANTRELL commented on Jerry Olschki's photo
Thumbnail

Personal Space

"this is almost comical  they are all in a row like they are posing for you is this why you…"
34 minutes ago
EVA CANTRELL commented on Carolana's photo
Thumbnail

Sun through the leaves

"extremely pretty and contrast of colors is lovely"
35 minutes ago

Free Photography Tips

We offer free daily photography tips for all experience levels. Click Here to Subscribe Now!.

© 2014   Created by PictureSocial.com.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service